Students Participate in Egg Drop Challenge

Heidi C releases her device, watching to see if her egg will survive the drop.

On October 4-5, 2016, students from Ms. Karg’s science class participated in an egg drop contest as a part of their unit on properties. This hands-on science activity challenged students to create an original structure that would protect a raw egg from cracking when dropped from a height of 25 ft. The purpose of this exercise was to learn how the physical properties of different materials could protect a fragile egg.

“The egg drop was fun, and most of the eggs didn’t break. It was really cool to see all the different things people made. Some of them were really creative,” said Anna L.

img_9152

Kory R carries his device to the launch zone.

On the day of the egg drop, students spent the first part of class taking the mass and volumes of their structures to ensure that they complied with the guidelines laid out by Ms. Karg. After this, they went outside and took turns dropping the eggs from the top of the stairwell onto the sidewalk below. One student was the timekeeper and measured how fast each structure fell.

“The egg drop was a ton of fun and creative. Many of the kids in my class had interesting egg drop ideas and the competition was fun to experience,” said Isabella L.

There were certain rules students had to follow when building their structures. The device had to be an original design, and they were not allowed to use foam (ex. styrofoam) or any glass containers. If they made a mess, they were responsible for cleaning it up. Students were also not allowed to use a parachute or propellers.

“It was cool to see what people made and what worked. While mine broke, I still learned a lot from the ones that didn’t. It was fun finding the materials and ideas for making the device and I learned a lot for the next egg drop,” said Dustin R.

Students were not only graded on if the egg cracked or not, but on how they made their structure. They needed to understand why their device was successful or not.

“The structures with the least mass received the most points because the structures all fell at about the same amount of time. The mass was the key to success. This project was really exciting to do. Having to think about what materials to use and how to put it all together in order to keep the egg from breaking was engaging and different,” said Jordan W.