The Medallion

Filed under News/Features, Showcase

Best Performing Wearable Technology for Kids and Teenagers

The Kid Power wearable by UNICEF provides children who are active with a way to globally help save the lives of other kids.

There are many ways adults have been trying to get their kids to break free from their devices and interact with the real world. Now manufacturers are trying to solve this problem. They have manufactured a product that gets kids excited about becoming more active. We know it better as wearable technology.

There are many different types of wearable technology targeted towards kids like wrist bands, pedometers, or necklaces. While most wearable technology is focused on one goal, getting kids active, there are many other added features that vary to each band. Some just count your steps, others allow you to compete with a friend to see who is the most active, some even remind you to do chores! Here are a few of the best performing wearable technology for kids.

By now, you should be somewhat aware of the most popular fitness tracker on the market, a FitBit. FitBits come in all sorts of different shapes, colors, and styles. There have been multiple types of FitBits released, but the most kid friendly of them all is the FitBit Zip. The FitBit zip is very flexible, durable, and has an added belt clip. It still qualifies as wearable technology, even if it isn’t worn as a watch.

Heart Zones is a new company that uses futuristic looking wearable technology. It comes in the form of a wrist band with a mini projector added to the top. Students can have their statistics projected onto the wall for everyone to see. As students get more active, their numbers will increase.

Which fitness tracker do you wear?

NabiCompete is a fitness tracker meant for two people. It tracks your steps, goals, and allows you to compete wirelessly with other players via bluetooth. Nabi Compete is compatible with their app and can use the child’s active points earned by being active to take care of their virtual pet.

Unicef Kid Power is another alternative to a FitBit. With Kid Power, kids being active can globally help save the lives of other kids. Every 2,400 steps you take, you earn a power point. Once you earn ten power points, you have donated a meal. Kid Power works with their companion app. Through the app you can see your progress of your missions, and even pinpoint the exact location of where you want your meal to go.

Step- It is a fitness tracker for kids that became moderately successful for a short period of time. According to CNN, McDonald’s has released a step tracking device called Step-It in each one of its happy meals. The Step-It unfortunately had to be recalled after many parents complained on Facebook that their children had gotten burned by the wrist band in under eight minutes of playing with it.

Wearable Technology has been around since the 19th century in the form of old fashioned pedometers. Now wearable technology has evolved into electronic watches that can count how many steps you take. What will be next?

Citations: Maslakovic, Marko. “Top fitness trackers for kids.” Health & Fitness Gadgets & Wearables. N.p., 28 Dec. 2016. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.

Winchester, Henry. “A brief history of wearable tech.” Wareable. N.p., 06 May 2015. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.

Tanasychuk, Mike. “Which Fitbits are best for kids?” IMore. N.p., 05 Jan. 2017. Web. 24 Jan. 2017.