The Medallion

Student Authors Published

You Do You is a collection of essays about a variety of female problems from parenthood to relationships, and everything in between. It was published on September 15, 2018, and is available for purchase on Amazon. So far it is rated five stars, and has eight customer reviews. You Do You is being called “A beautiful and balanced perspective” by Tony and an “honest compilation of talented female voices” by Mackenzie Blommer O’Malley.

Katelyn Sullivan (7th) and Abby Clark (11th), two of the co-writers and students Robinson Secondary, answered a few questions on their submissions. Katelyn’s sister, Meghan (12th), was also published in the book.

Katelyn Sullivan:

What inspired you to write your story?

When I found out about the opportunity, there was a list of around a hundred prompts, and one of them was about experiences in school. I wrote this partially fictional essay, incorporating different scenes that happened to me in elementary.

How did your story end up being published in a book?

It was surprisingly a pretty short span of time from writing the piece to getting it published, but during the process, I had to sign a contract and have the essay sent to an editor several times. I wrote it earlier this year when I was twelve and in the sixth grade.

How did you learn about this publishing opportunity?

A good friend of my family is a blogger, and one of her blogging friends (Jen Mann) was looking for women, younger and older, to write essays or poems for her book. Our friend emailed my mother the information, knowing how much my sister Megan and I love to write, and we went through the application process after writing individual essays.

How did you choose your story title?

I love Hamilton and I just thought the title was kind of fitting for the topic, so I incorporated the musical in after writing the original piece. (“Rise Up” comes from the third song in Hamilton, “My Shot”)

What is your favorite piece of the book?

My favorite part of the book has to be the interlude, where the compiler, Jen Mann, speaks of how she got the inspiration for You Do You. She’s an incredible writer and I owe this entire experience to her.

What types of writing do you typically do?

I normally write fantasy, being in the creative writing elective. This is my first nonfiction/partially nonfiction article that I’ve ever put a lot of effort into.

Do you think you might have a future in writing?

I sure hope so! I’ll certainly try to get published again, and I hope one day maybe I’ll even have a novel published. It’s quite high hopes, but maybe one day I’ll achieve them!

Abby Clark:

What inspired you to write your story?

A while before I heard about the anthology, I watched a video of this woman, Eve Ensler, who talked a lot about femininity and its strength that isn’t often recognized. I wanted to apply that to my own experiences, so I wrote that essay!

My neighbor is publishing her own book, and she found out that Jen Mann, the editor, was looking for submissions for this book. I was interested in its girl power theme and wrote my piece with some prompts.

How did you choose your story title?

I really believe that empathy is undervalued because it’s thought to be something feminine. I wrote my thoughts about what I think would happen if it started to be.

My favorite piece was “This One is for the Ghost Girls.” It feels very personal, like I’m sitting on her shoulder. It’s such a brave piece, and it makes me feel something.

Normally I like to write poetry and short stories. I’m not very focused on one thing. Sometimes I just think of characters and phrases and I start to write.  

I hope so! In the future I’d like to work with words. Whether that means being a writer, or editor, or journalist, I’m not sure. But I definitely love stories and expressing myself, so I hope I can make that an option.

Citations

Several Sassy Scribes. “You Do You.” Amazon.com, 15 Sept. 2018, www.amazon.com/You-Just-Want-Alone-Book-ebook/dp/B07HMBVSNW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539291371&sr=8-4&keywords=you+do+you.