The Medallion

Filed under News/Features, Showcase

Medal of Honor Awarded to Ronald J. Shurer

Staff Sergeant Ronald J. Shurer receives the Medal of Honor on October 1, 2018.

On October 1st, 2018, Staff Sergeant Ronald J. Shurer received the Medal of Honor for his outstanding work as a Medical Sergeant in the U.S. Army. The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force that a service member can be awarded. More than 3,520 have been awarded to those serving in the Armed Forces since the Civil War.

“I think he was a very brave officer and saved many lives. He put himself in danger to save fathers, sons and brothers,” said Kam Q,  8th grade.

Medical Start

Starting in his military career, Shurer was trained as an Army medic and qualified for the Special Forces. His training included an internship for a hospital’s emergency room and specialized paramedic training. On December 1st, 2006 Ronald was promoted from Sergeant to Staff Sergeant. From November 2007 to May 2008, he was deployed with Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force to pursue Operation Enduring Freedom.

“I think he is a hero because he used his time to join the army and saved lots of people. Also, you must be brave to be in the special forces,” said Bianca J, 7th grade.

Battle of Shok Valley

Shurer on his 2006 deployment to Afghanistan.

On April 6, 2008 in Shok Valley, Afghanistan, U.S.-Afghan forces were on a mission to capture terrorist Gulbuddin Hekmatyar. While moving up a mountain, bursts of loud gunshots fired, and grenades exploded by the feet of the American soldiers. Shurer willingly ran up the mountainside, through on coming gunfire, to reach wounded soldiers. On the way, he killed several insurgents from the enemy team. While healing one of his teammates, Shurer was hit in the helmet with a bullet. The force stunned Ronald and knocked him over, causing precious moments to tick away. For the duration of time that he laid on the ground, Shurer was also hit in the arm with a bullet.  Shockingly, for six more hours Ronald continued to treat his injured teammates in addition to his own injury. Finally, after hours of treating his Special Forces team, the Medevac helicopter arrived to pick up the injured. Even then, Shurer helped load the wounded into the helicopter before himself.

“I am happy that Surer was recognized with this incredible award. His bravery is inspiring to all Americans. Saving the lives of others while risking his own is one of the greatest acts of service,” said Ms. Forte.

Medal Of Honor

During Ronald J. Shurer’s Medal of Honor ceremony, that occurred on October 1, 2018, President Trump commented on Ronald’s heroic actions during the battle of Shok Valley in 2008. “There was blood all over the place,” Trump said. “It was a tough, tough situation to be in. Immediately, Ron climbed the rocky mountain, all the while fighting back against the enemy and dodging gun fire left and right. Rockets were shot at him, everything was shot at him.”  Also, during the ceremony, Trump went on to talk about Shurer’s team of soldiers and translators, praising them for their service. As the minutes went on, President Trump continued to talk about Shurer and his great accomplishments emphasizing his strength dealing with lung cancer. “A year and a half ago, Ron was diagnosed with cancer — tough cancer, rough cancer,” Trump said. “But he’s braved, battled, worked; he’s done everything he can … he’s been fighting it every single day with courage and with strength. And he is a warrior.”  At the end of the ceremony, Trump placed the medal around Shurer’s neck and informed him that his name would be engraved along other great U.S. soldiers. “Ron, our hearts are filled with gratitude as we prepare to engrave your name alongside of America’s greatest heroes,” he said. “Ron is an inspiration to everyone in this room and to every citizen all across our great land.”