The Medallion

Filed under News/Features, Showcase

Who is Ryan McElveen?

Most people know Ryan McElveen as, “the guy that tweets whether or not school is canceled or delayed,” said Reed H. However, he is much more than that.

McElveen was born and raised in Fairfax County and went to Marshall High School. There, he served as the class president and graduated with an International Baccalaureate Diploma. He attended the University of Virginia for college where he earned  a Bachelor of Arts in anthropology and East Asian studies. He then went on to earn a master’s degree in International Affairs at Columbia University.

At UVA, McElveen won their Cultural Fluency Award, which is given to, “a graduating student who demonstrates understanding and appreciation for cultural and intellectual diversity.”

In 2008, McElveen won the Elizabeth Cady Stanton Award for the best essay in the study of women and gender, Challenging Yellow: Decoding Skin Color in Urban China and the Confluence of Tradition and Globalization. He was a Washington Post finalist in 2010 for their “America’s Next Great Pundit” contest. He  also won the 2012 Charles Robb Young Leaders Award.

McElveen receiving the Charles Robb award

McElveen is a member of Fairfax County’s school board. His official job is, “providing fresh and healthy food for students, internationalizing the curriculum, improving the board’s legislative advocacy, and increasing outreach to students and alumni.” McElveen is an associate director at Brookings Institution John L. Thornton China Center. There, he serves as a senior administrator who coordinates with a university in China. McElveen conducts research about China’s politics, society, and U.S. foreign policies. Additionally, he is a member of the National Committee on U.S.-China Relations.

Citations

McElveen, Ryan. “About.” Fairfax County School Board, 2019, www.ryanforschoolboard.com/about.html.

McElveen, Ryan. “Fairfax County Public Schools.” Program Profile: Responsive Instruction | Fairfax County Public Schools, 2019, www.fcps.edu/school-board/ryan-mcelveen.

Samarrai, Fariss. “Class Awards Presented Friday at Valedictory Exercises.” UVA Today, 19 May 2018, news.virginia.edu/content/class-awards-presented-friday-valedictory-exercises.