The Medallion

Ram Rookie: A Guide to Robinson

Ramping Up

Ramping Up is a summer camp hosted by Robinson. The camp has three sessions on July 29, 30, and 31, August 1, 2, and 5, and August 6, 7, and 8 from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. In the camp, the staff  helps new students find their classes and get to know the teachers and staff better. Students play games and have lessons in teachers classrooms. Also, Ramping Up is a way for new students to make friends. Clare S said, “The teachers were really nice and the classes were fun. It helped me for starting up the new school year.”

Locker Day

A week before school starts, there is locker day. During locker day, you will receive your class schedule, locker, and combination. You should go to locker bay and take some time to practice opening your locker. You will walk through all of your classes at the new student orientation, so try and remember how to get there. All of the core classes are located in each subschool, behind the locker bay. At the back of the lockers, the science rooms are to the left or right, and behind them there are math, english, and history classrooms. They are in a square, so keep walking around until you find your room number. Staff will be handing our schedules before the orientation, so make sure to pick yours up.

Surviving the First Week

The first day of school can be stressful, but there is no reason to panic. All of the seventh graders are new, and most of them will have some trouble finding their classes on the first day. Don’t worry! The teachers understand this, so if you are are a few minutes late, you won’t be marked tardy. If you cannot find your class, don’t be afraid to ask any staff members you see, they understand. After the first couple of weeks, you will be a pro at finding your classes. “I followed the class numbers and I asked other people for help,” said Charlotte S.

The Schedule

Robinson uses a special kind of class scheduling called a block schedule. This means that you have half of your classes (periods 1, 3, 5,and 7) are on blue days and the other half (periods 2, 4, 6, and 8) are on gold days. The bell will ring ten minutes and five minutes before school starts. Then it will ring in between all of the other classes. Each class is about one and a half hours long. Reed H said, “I like it because I have two days for homework, but I also don’t like it because the class periods are long and tiring.”

Learning Seminar and Raise

Your second period class is different then your other classes. Learning seminar is between 8:00 and 8:40. This is a rotating period and each gold day, your class here will change. Sometimes there will be lessons on the Ram Values or a regular class. RAISE stands for Ram Academic Intervention Support for Everyone. It is is between 8:40 and 9:30. Everyone is assigned a raise teacher. During RAISE, you can either work on homework, read a book, or go to a class you need help with. If you are struggling in a class, ask for a RAISE pass from that teacher. During RAISE, report to your raise teacher and give them your RAISE pass. Alexa H said, “I usually stay in my RAISE class and finish up homework and if not, I am probably taking a test because I missed it.”

Lunch

There are two different lunch periods for seventh graders. In middle school, there is the blue cafeteria and the gold cafeteria. The gold side is for the eighth graders and the blue side is for seventh graders. You can either pack lunch, or buy lunch from the cafeteria. Lunch time for middle schoolers is either in or after your second period of the day. If you have math, English, or history, you have A lunch which is during class. If you have an elective, PE, or science, you have B lunch which is after class. You could have different lunches on blue and gold days depending on your classes.

After School Activities

Most after school activities are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:00pm to 4:30pm. There are many activities to go to including, Academic Support Programs, Sports and Fitness Programs​, Leadership Service, Social Time, STEM, Art, Drama, and more! Late busses come after school at 4:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

http://robinson-ms-activities.weebly.com (Complete list of after school clubs)

Passing Time

Between each period, you have seven minutes to get to your next class. This is plenty of time to get to any class, and stop at your locker, as long as you use your time wisely. Seven minutes is a lot of time. In the pentagon, a seven story building with approximately 23,000 workers, a person can go from the two furthest points is seven minutes. Julia L said, “I don’t really have enough time to talk to my friends in between classes, but I always get to class on time.”

SIS

SIS studentVue is the site mainly to check grades. It is an app that you can get on your phone or check online. You are able to see past SOL scores, report cards, health history, attendance, class schedule, and course requests. The login is your school username and password.

Lockers

All Robinson students will be assigned a locker. You are allowed to bring your backpack to most classes but not all. In gym and some electives you should store your things in your locker. Turn your lock to the right and pass zero twice to reset it and stop on your first number. Then turn it to the left in one full rotation then stop on your second number. Last, turn your lock to the right and stop on the last number and pull the handle up. The staff in the office can use their key if you are having trouble. It is important to keep your locker organized. Shelves are a great way to add space for folders, binders, and your backpack. If you are nervous about opening your locker, yous can buy a lock and practice unlocking it at home. Amelia F said, “Definitely get two locker shelves to stack because it makes it easier to fit your backpack into your locker.”

Citations

Rankings, National. “How Does Robinson Secondary School Rank Among America’s Best High Schools?” U.S. News & World Report, U.S. News & World Report, www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/virginia/districts/fairfax-county-public-schools/robinson-secondary-school-20455.

Roulo, Claudette. “10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About the Pentagon.” U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, www.defense.gov/explore/story/Article/1650913/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-the-pentagon/

“FCPS.” After School Program | James W. Robinson Secondary School, 2019, robinsonss.fcps.edu/student-life-and-activities/middle-school/after-school-program.