Phones in Classrooms

Devon R, Editor

Are phones a distraction or a learning tool? Students now more than ever are bringing their phones to their classes, even younger, elementary-aged students. 

In September of 2019, Ontario banned students from having their cellphones during class time, however there are mixed emotions about the ban. Some believe that phones in classes distract students from learning, and can cause them to cheat on tests. A study by common sense media shows that, “more than 35% of teens admit to cheating with cell phones, and more than half admit to using the Internet to cheat.” Also, three-fourths of parents believe that cheating is going on at their child’s school, however only a small percentage said that their child is using their phone to cheat. In addition to cheating, students, on average, check their phones 11 times during one class.

While cellphones in classrooms can make cheating easier and distract students, phones can be used also as educational tools. Some apps, like google classroom, google docs, and sis can all help with classwork. Phones can also be used to complete mobile lessons. Lastly, phones can be an easily accessible way to research information. 

Phones in classrooms can both help and hurt classrooms. Leave a comment with your opinion, should phones be allowed in classrooms?