The Medallion

Filed under A&E

Summer Reads for Everyone

7670The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

I highly recommend The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton because it is a fast-paced tale of biochemistry, science, and viruses. It is about a satellite named Scoop VII that gets launched into space to possibly collect space life. It comes back down to earth near the town of Piedmont, AZ. As a team sent to recover the satellite comes up on the village, they see that everyone is lying in the street, dead. Then they too, die. This anomaly gets recognized by the government, and PROJECT WILDFIRE goes into effect. This is a book with surprises around every corner, as with every page a new discovery into Andromeda (the codename for the virus) is made. Will everything west of Las Vegas fall to Andromeda? Is it the actual apocalypse? Find out, in The Andromeda Strain!

GreatTrainRobberyThe Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton

If you are looking for a great book that deals in history, than The Great Train Robbery is the book for you! It follows a two year enterprise made by Edward Pierce to steal £12k in gold bullion from a train. Today, this amount would be worth hundreds of millions, if not billions. In 1855 Russia and Britain were in the midst of the Crimean war, a campaign which had not proven itself. Each month £12k was shipped to Crimea to pay the soldiers, and Pierce, in the book, tries to steal it. The book chronicles the plan to get the gold, ranging from how to break the safes open to climbing atop the train to get to the baggage car. This book is phenomenally detailed, and Michael Crichton, the author, does an excellent job in writing down every step taken to steal the gold. If you have questions like, What happened to Pierce? Who got the gold?  Find out in The Great Train Robbery!

The Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

Are you a steampunk novel fan? Do you love to read historical fiction? Then you should read the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. It is set at the outbreak of WWI in Europe where there are two factions: the Darwinists and the Clankers. The Darwinists include England, Russia, and France, and the Clankers are the Ottoman Empire, The Austro-Hungarian Empire, and the Germans. The Darwinists “fabricate” animals to make new animals, like blimps made out of whale parts and hawks with claws that can shear the wings off a biplane. The Clankers make machines, like Walkers from Star Wars. The trilogy is about the son (Alek) of the late Austro-Hungarian prince who, after learning about the deaths of his parents, goes into hiding in the Swiss Alps. Later, he meets a boy in the British Royal Air Service who is working on one of the whale-blimps. The boy, (Dylan) is actually a girl disguised as a boy. Her real name is Deryn, and none of her crewmembers know she is a girl. Over the course of the trilogy, Alek and Deryn go on many adventures, from raising an uprising in the Ottoman Empire, to going to New York to see the famous Nikola Tesla. The series has three books, Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath. For all steampunk/historical fiction fans out there, this is the series for you!

1537-1Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose

Band of Brothers is the classic WWII story of a group of soldiers who travel through Europe fighting the Nazis. The story is a nonfiction timeline following Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne. Beginning their training under the devil Captain Sobel, Easy Company fights at Normandy, Arnhem, Bastogne, and parts of Germany. Follow along as Easy Company storms Utah Beach on D-day, fights in the Battle of the Bulge, liberates part of the Dachau concentration camp and has a party at Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest. Main characters include Don Malarkey, Richard Winters, and Bill Guarnere. From Camp Toccoa under Sobel to the end of the line in Europe, Band of Brothers is an amazing book with loads of detail and excitement.